Sunday, February 13, 2011

Part Deux: Snow White, oh so White and Cold … Calvin goes Home and learns why he is not a Sled Dog


OK OK OK, relax, rough TP was not the highlight of Ski for Light (SFL), but next time I am bringing my own.

My trip began on September 27th with a short plane ride from SJO to DIA, Denver International where two sweethearts of the snow, companions of the canines, friends for life and you-can-not-find-nicer-people- people anywhere met me and Cal at the airport. And C co-raised Calvin and since they live in Denver, or nearby, I was invited to spend a couple of days with them, their puppies before heading up to the 9K elevation for a week of adventure, fun skiing and temperatures wwwaaaaayyyy below zero.

A and C met me right on time and of course Calvin went nuts when he saw, little did he know that it was the beginning of a week or more of getting to be in the comfort, care and love … I can easily say that they made me and Calvin right at home, I was totally relaxed and had a fantastic time for the next few days until I headed up to Snow Mountain Ranch in Granby, CO – did I get that right? Anyway, I urge you, dear reader, to check out SFL online, although the website does not do the level or dedication, organization and care that exists within this group.

Before we talk about the week of skiing, is Snooze open yet, kind of hungry … or for some of that great homemade granola …

Calvin had a reuniting with not only his mommies but his brother and sister and was in doggy heaven for the next few days. He took right to his old home, remembered where he was fed, took him only five minutes to go there and got some great outdoor time, including a 3 or so mile walk around a enclosed open dog park … Open fields. Dogs all off leash and not a single incident other then Calvin getting muddy and wet … Pics to follow …

The Denver area is so dog friendly it is amazing. Great friends, Snooze and the dog park … hhhhhmmmmm

I was able to visit the amazing Red Rock concert hall, walk a few steps, counted them like Rain Man, had some great dinners highlighted by the one hosted by A and C’s friend’s C salad … I stayed hydrated, rested and loved every minute of it … If my trip had ended there it would have been worth it, for me and for Calvin. He did not know who to turn to for fun, who to play tug with and hardly got to guide me as I was in the hands of friends … friends like family …

For those of you who do not know these Colorado people, this is the best way to explain it, and I hope no one is offended because they care like family and give friendship unconditionally, just like Calvin, unconditional love … We both, Calvin and I, are looking forward to going back for more visits … with some Apolo and TJ’s in hand …

And yes, I will pack lighter next time …

Next blog, Ski for Light, go do your homework and see what they are all about on line and think about being a guide next year, or a dog walker (Calvin walks are already reserved) or just a volunteer and I will see you in Utah for sure, the location of their next event … January/February 2012

Cheers for … where is that Bailey’s …

No comments:

Post a Comment