Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hair of the Dog

Helloall and to all a good evening - the proper title for this first real post might as well have been "My first day of rehab" as no slight to how I spent my Saturday night or those in attendance. Let me explain, briefly, kind readers.

Last night I had the honour of attending a wedding of a very good friend of mine, you know who you are. Without naming names or going into details, I did not think I could drink that much, and I refused easily more then half of the drinks I was offered. The food was fantastic and endless. As some of readers will recall my expression, which is common amongst the kids of my time, I almost drank my face off. So, hence I felt as if I was checking into reahb today rather then  guide dog training - perhaps this is an intervention and I am really getting a service dog that will keep me away from food and alcohol.

Anyway, the wedding was great, and I did manage to get a few hours of sleep. It is now about 9pm Sunday evening and I am sitting aone in the computer room of the Boring Oregon campus of Guide Dogs for the Blind.

My experience so far ahas been extremely positive - the staff I have met so far are warm, friendly and very supportive. I expected nothing less and I have not been disappointed so far. I have only met four of the staff and I am very much looking to meeting the trainers and as I found out just today, my new companion.

Yes, I will get my dog tomorrow so tonight marks the last day I will not pick up the poop and I am looking forward to it.

The weather is a little rainy, as expected but the new dorm facilities here are great and, bonus, the kithcen and chef are amazing. Tomorrow I am havong a veggie empanada for lunch and grilled salmon with basmattie rice for dinner. I had three brownies today so I will be hitting the treadmill after thos post ... or not.

My class is small, only six of us, three newbies and three getting their next guide. They too are really nice and great resources for what I am about to experience.

Did I mention I am exhausted and a bit hung over ...  I think I just heard Lindsay Lohan down the hall ...

I will try to post again tomorrow with pictures but not sure I will have time ... plus the machines in the computer room are rather old - they have floppy drives. AT least they are 3.5" drives and not the five and a quarter ones ... it may crash at anytime but then again so may I ...

So the dogs are on campus, the trainer I met does know theur names and they already have an idea of which dog each of us are getting but they will not tell ...Apparently they used to play some jokes on handlers before they gave them their dogs to mess with their minds. This is an environment that my father would love, lots of chances for practical jokes ... I know he would have been proud today - when they were giving us the tour and showed us the smoking area I asked how many of their guide dogs smoke ...

OK, good might Gracie ..

A demain
Go Habs Go
David and woof ...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dave,
    Sounds like a really cool place......behave yourself! I hope you are feeling better today.Try not to set a bad example for your new friend.
    Can not wait to hear about today . Enjoy the process and the destination will fall into place.
    Thinking of you,
    Love
    Darlene
    P.S. Say hi to Lindsay for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an exciting experience.....hope you have a
    '"doggone" good time getting to know your new friend.......
    he will soon discover how lucky he is. The people sound
    great. Hope you have a blast!
    Luv ya, Rhoda & Harold
    P.S. No comment about the alcohol consumption.

    ReplyDelete