Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I have been taught, not really learned completely yet how to get him to sit, lie down, heel, andd acome near me so I can put on his leash, harness etc. The obedience stuff like this has not gone too well. He is very distracted but I think that is partrially I am still somewhat tentative in my obedience commands and also there are many distraactions here. He has a ton of energy which is what I asked for so I can ony blame myself but that also means that during guide work and play timehe is really going fast and is easy to work with. By awork I mean guide work which has gone very welll or rather much better athen obedience work but I guess that will get easier as I get more confortable with that part of our time.I have received pretty much all of the equipment I will need which inclues a leash, a harness, some really cute booties for escalator travel or wet conditions. I got his second and third toys today, a bone and a rubber ring for pull games. The bones they are allowed are called Nila bones, no reagular bones are allowed or suggested but I hear from some folks in my class that they give their old guides sterilized marrow bones or something like that. Even in the toys, Guide Dogs never suggesta any ball, toys that can be torn apart or will distract them from guide work. Stuff like tennis balls are common in the world so if they see them as toys they can become distracted ... but rules may be made to be broken .. for now I will follow them and then when we are back home I will see what he can be good with. Mostly also anyathing that they can destroy and eat that will cause problems are out ...I did discover that some of my obedince issues can be resolved if I can get a bean bag chair. In general it is discouraged to allow the dog on any furniture because they can not distinguish between your sofa at home and those elsewhere ... but when I plop down on a bean bag chair he becomes a sicty pound lap dog and just sits on my lap and sleeps ...He also has the really cute habit of holding my hand or rather putting his pay in my hand and just staying like that ... for family, that is what reminds me of Walden so I really like that in calvin... Calvin also like to rest his head on my knee or leg and just rest there. This afternoon when he was taking a quick nap, as was I, I leaned over the bed to where he sleeps on the floor next to me and while he was snoring, he put his paw on my hand ..And yes, he snores but I have him set up for a sleep apnea assessment ... got it F?I learned how to clean his ears which he is not so fond of and also to brush his teeth today which he loves ... mostly it tastes like chicken, the toothpaste smells like chicken and not the good kind but he really loves it.Good news for me he seems to be a quick reliver - which means within minutes of going out for bathroom duties he goes very quicky. I am learning how to scoop the poop tomorrow, so far they have been doing that for us ...So far I have gone up and down on my experience in terms of being really pleased with my perfprmaace and being really frustrated. The word has gotten around the staff here and they are calling me a bit of a perfectionist ... I just do not agree but that I think I should have learned how to do much of what we have been shown. I know it has ony been a few days or less but overall I am thrilled on my choice to come hereand my choice of choosing Guide Dogs versus other schools ...I have worked through some of the obedience things and as handlers of this blog can attest to, it is difficult the first time, or so I am told but still the first actual guide work went really well. Calvin hardly makes any mistakes and I am sure most of them are because I am saying the wrong this or in the wrong way but he has already stopped me from walking across a street with a car that webt too early and guided me through sidewalks with lots of obstacles ... I walked the same route that he guided me through just with a white cane and I was really amazed of all the things I found that he just blew past safely.He is a really fast walker so out full speed guiding pace will be faster then what I I can do with a cane ... the one thing I notice is that I no longer have to find obstacles in order to avoid them.Of course, our first two guided walks were kind of emotional for when I finally sat down and thought if what doors he will open up for me. I did much of my guided work today with my eyes closed to feel what it will be like at night. We will have to do a solo night walk anyway to graduate. Trust is quickly building and is of course cirtical for the team.Team is what we call the handler and guide duo and I really feel like we are quickly approaching that even it awill still take weeks or months for us to bond and there is complete trust ... Pretty soon we will be finishing each other's sentences.A work about the school and the instructors and trainers. I could not have wished for a more supportive group. Althoug I have nothing to compare it to, when I have been almost ready to throw the towel, they have instinclively stepped and got me what I needed. I have had a few of those moments but I guesss these experiences have been much like the past months for me so as long there is more progress then setbacks then I am OK.There is just so very much info to remember and so little time or down time I hope I recall half of it. If not, I am sure Calvin will remind me.We have done much of our trainig in a small town closeby called Greshem, not sure how it is spellt but on Saturday we start guide work in Portland and I belive that is where we will have our final test ...The dorm here remains very comfortable and the meals continue to be outstanding ... I have had all from scratch meals, clazones, chicken vegatable lasagne, fallafel (tomorrow so we will see if it as good as Falaffel Drive In) ... for breakfast tomorrow I am having bagels that the chef makes herslef here .. I will suggest a special bagel breakfast with eggs and cheese ... I call it a bagelette ...We recieved our first toys for the dog tonight and I had my first play session with him. They suggest only a ten or fifteen minute session so we played tug with a rubber donut .. and my mild mannered dog who all I heard from all of a sudden started to growl and bark like he was about to attack but all the while his tail wagging madly ... He is going to be a ton of fun ...He seems a little more energetic then the other dogs in my class but I am the youngest here so I am happy about his character .. he always seems really happy to see me but I am his food and toy for the next ten years or so, I am happy to oblige ...Well, he has been alone for almost an hour now, on tie down in my room so I better go as I have some lecture material to read and I have dog slobber all over my clothes so I think I better shower ..I hope this has not been too boring for you, if you got this far ...I am sure I am missing some funny moments but I will try to post earlier tomorrow or next time so I can be more awakecheers to allDavid and CalvinCalvin and his Hobbies

Hello all, this computer is talking really funny so I am going to just type and hope afor the best. I tried to post last night and twice the night before but the only one that went out was the details of Calvin ... so here is a recap of what I think I missed to post and what has happened over the last two and half days, my time with Calvin so far.

8 comments:

  1. I wake up every morning and the first thing I do is check to see if you wrote so I definitely do NOT find this boring.I am amazed and thrilled at how fast you two are building a relationship and are becoming a team. Calvin sounds amazing! Although yours is a particular type of situation anybody who has had dogs and loves dogs can relate to parts of everything happening. As I have said MANY MANY times before there is NOTHING like the bond you will have with that dog. It is special and wonderful and amazing. They don't call them "man's best friend" for nothing. Calvin's spunk and love of life shines through all your comments about him. You are both well matched with each other.
    Hang in David. Every dog owner faces ups and downs as they train their new pup.You will find that it is very well worth it. As you know (even though you ARE a perfectionist) nobody and nothing in life is perfect.
    Hugs to you and Calvin and enjoy your bagelettes, Dave. If they are good maybe you can suggest them to Sacha! Next summer you can eat them together while Walden and Calvin hold paws and Sax kisses them both all over! In the meantime maybe F and Calvin can share a room at the clinic!
    Thinking of you. Very happy for you. Admiring you. With love and respect always.
    Auntie D
    P.S. Has Calvin started compiling a list for me at Consumers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hoffy,
    It's Marty Williams! Just wanted to say hello and that I am enjoying your blog. I can hardly wait to hear how poop scooping goes, I hope well!
    Take care my friend,
    Marc Walker

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope your scoop the poop goes well tomorrow. We are both rooting for you.

    Did your team tell you that walking your dog is a very good way to meet women? But not as good pushing a baby in a stroller. Do you have any friends that could lend you a child? The combination of dog and baby is sure fire.

    Love ,

    Evelynne and Moishe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoffles,
    As usual, I am so impressed with what you are doing. Can't wait to meet Calvin. I hope my boys don't ruin him. I guess one commonality we now have is that we both clean poop.

    See you in a few,
    Oren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey David,

    It's Silvia and Nina. I hope Calvin is not a scooter! It is just so much nicer when they stay in one spot and poop!

    On the obedience issue. I have gone through the program with 3 dogs and I always said the wrong thing! I would say "sit", but do the hand motion for the dog to go down. My dogs would always look at me confused! They probably gave you a video (and I am so bad, I always forget the name), but there is a shot where there is a woman doing obedience with a dog and it is Duster and me. Well, as making videos go, you have to repeat things until they get the shot they need and I was having Duster do sits and downs. Well, at one point he got tired of it and had enough. He just turned his back on the cameraman and looked off into the distance!

    Everything will come more easily as the time goes by. Just remember...BREATHE!

    Big hugs to you and licks to Calvin from Nina.

    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful reading about this incredible experience. This challenge is filled with exciting possibilities for an enriching relationship for many years. Can’t wait for your next posting.

    Luv,

    Rhoda and Harold

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dave - this is great stuff! I love the humor and picture everything you are saying watching your expressions of frustrations and wanting everything to be perfect! As everyone above has said... in time the bond will be something you will cherish and Calvin will eventually read your mind before you even speak a command. I admire your desire to be the pefect handler and I'm sure the "team" will be an amazing one and you are right that it will open doors and make a huge impact in your world. I can't wait to see you both and watch the bond develop.

    Keep your voice strong and he'll know who is boss (well you can try to fool him anyway!)

    thinking of you and wishing you lots of luck - love reading the posts to keep them coming - I do miss your humor !

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Daver
    Great Blogs.
    Emma Lee and I just finished talking to you.
    I forgot to ask you...did you tell Calvin about sleeping in in the morning when Emma Lee and I visit. Also I hope him and Chuckie Cheese will get along.
    You're AMAZING...

    Love your brother from the same mother

    ReplyDelete