Friday, January 14, 2011

Ski For Light...really, Calvin and I are going to the snow and the elevation of Colorado


Speaking to a very close relative of mine recently I realize I have been remiss in sharing some travel plans that Calvin and I are planning later this month. Well, in reality Calvin has not had much to do with the actual plans other then to say over and over again “do not forget my food Dad … and my toys … and my bed … and my food … did I mention the food?”

Anyway, this is a trip that I had to miss last year. Was sort of kind of a little preoccupied with stuff. There is an international organization called Ski for Light, jfgi.

Go ahead, JFGI.

They put on local and international cross skiing events for blind and disabled people, or as E would say peeps … They also do down hill skiing but I am not quite there yet …

Anyway, they get about 150 volunteer sighted guides and 150 blind folks who want to do some cross country skiing, and you have a week of adventure. I have heard great things from friends who have attended, some with some very outstanding results and I am eagerly looking forward to the week.

Each day features early moring yoga, followed by exercise class, breakfast, skiing, lunch, more skiing, dinner, evening programs and then some form of entertainment, dances, hot tubbing etc …

I am working on getting more in shape for this week, - Calvin and I have started a Karate class. More like I take Karate and Calvin whines and cries because he thinks I am being attacked … but I think I had that in my last post …

Anyway, Calvin is doing great. Tonight was a difficult night as I went to a company dinner and he had to wait for dinner until very late and he is a little annoyed with me – he is currently not talking to me.

Back to the skiing trip – no Calvin does not ski with me, He stays in the room, orders room service, orders movies on the pay per view and makes prank calls to Australia ….

The SFL organization actually gets dog walker voluntters but I have special treat for Calvin and myself. My fantastic puppy raisers, sorry did that again, Calvin’s puppy raisers live in Colorado and they will be hosting for a couple of days and then joinig us for part of the week to get some special Calvin time …

The week should be great and I will hopefully have some pics to post and my laptop to blog a bit …

Check out their website for more details and wish us luck

Cheers
Calvin and David, human waste engineer

1 comment:

  1. Hey David and Calvin. Have a WONDERFUL time on your ski trip. I hope the weather is beautiful, the company great and the adventures memorable. I'll be thinking of you and waiting anxiously for news, stories and pictures.

    Love
    Auntie D

    ReplyDelete