Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Poop Happens, but in a pocket?


I once agin apologize for such a long lapse between posts, lots has happened most importantly a visit from my brother and niece, or as Calvin came to know them, toys and a place to shed, I mean REALLY shed … My very intelligent niece came to me one day during the visit and said she had been “Calvinated”. The image fits perfectly as I now try to use a lint brush to take off some calvination from my clothes. Good thing those things are only a buck at Target.

Some other recent events and thoughts.

As the title of this post suggests, I was taking Calvin for a early evening stroll today and as we walked, rather briskly as usual, he all of a sudden pulled over for a “pit stop”. This was an unexpected stop as he had already pooped a lot today. I guess the cool air and the quick pace stimulated him in more then one way. Anyway, he did his things(s) on someone’s lawn, as best I could tell as by this time it has become rather dark. Now usually I would pick up the poop, in a bag and leave it there if I could not find a garbage close by or take it with me if we were close to home. Neither of these were the case so I bravely put the bagged poop in my hoodie pocket. I could carry it in my free hand but I use that for signaling turns and forwards to Calvin and the bag swinging seemed to distract him. Well, it must be love or a great respect I have for him because not only did I put the bag in my pocket but I forgot it there and came very close to busting the bag on the walk. The hoodie is safe but just to be safe it is going in the wash and I may have overwashed my hands a bit … He did not seem to get the commitment but he did do a great job on the walk, blew by three dog distractions and found home without any trouble …

Other news – Calvin and I, certainly myself, are very much looking forward to a trip to Colorado at the end of the month for a Ski for Light event – essentially it is a cross country skiing trip to a town called Granby in Colorado … As a huge bonus, we will be visiting and staying with Calvin’s puppy raisers for a couple of days before the week of skiing and they will be joining us for a few days to make sure Calvin gets the attention he wants … I continue to be amazed by the loyalty, commitment and care the puppy raiser community has for their jobs, or rather passions. Thanks guys, Calvin will have a great time …

One funny story, that happened recently and I can look forwad to it happening every time I practice my Karate.

Recently I started taking Karate, just a few sessions so far but I am really enjoying it. Calvin I am not so sure. He gets pretty restless while I am training and I had to put on his gently leader for the last class to keep him calm. But when I was home this weekend and started to practice my first Kata Calvin went absolutely nuts. Jumping all around, running between legs as he does when wants to play and jumping up trying to kiss, or attack me.

Now this is the kind of reaction I have tried to get out him during play and it works to some extent but the karate really seems to get him riled up. When I put on music and try to dance around he mostly just sits right down and looks at me, probably saying, “Dad, you look silly, please stop … you just can not dance” or it appears I am in some kind of serious pain and he wants to make sure I am ok … either way, the Karate gets him playing like nothing else… it may be hard for me to really practice but I, for now, still think it is really cute.

Overall, things are going very well with him. He has filled out a bit, seems to be stronger, more solid and still maintains his boying figure …

He still maintains the everlasting optimism for food and is the happy morning alarm clock I needed in high school. He has truly made me a morning person, and an afternoon napper.

And no E, that is not a dog belly button …

No comments:

Post a Comment